Monday, July 25, 2011

Joined the local quilt guild in our town and the first meeting had a curved piecing class.

Bad Line Drawing
In February of this year I joined the local quilt guild here in Paragould. I've really been enjoying it and I've met a lot of nice ladies and learned a lot. They try to have each meeting have some sort of presentation or tutorial and the first one I participated in was one where we learned how to make curved seams. Something I had no desire to do. Why? Fear. Well, I can do them now.

They taught a technique where you stack two strips of fabric one on top of each other and take the rotary cutter and draw a GENTLE wavy line down the strip.  And then you sew the top left strip to the bottom right strip and vise versa.  Well that in itself may not seem like much but when you consider what you can do with that design, a lot of possibilities are arise. Our instructor brought two examples. One where the strips were cut into squares and shuffled to make and interesting ocean wave sort of pattern and sewn together to make a neat looking border. In another example she showed us was to make them narrower and use them for logs in a log cabin block. That got my mind to wandering and I came up with a few more ways to use the technique.

I went home and came up with making a flag with it.  I used a couple of fat quarters and a half yard of the redish batik and the white batik. As you can see I made it wider and then made more stripes. I did it two ways on the star section and then appliqued it oit othe striped panel. I used the decorative stitches on my machine to quilt sort of in the ditch and I think it turned out alright. It was sure fun to do! I did this for a very dear friend of mine who is very patriotic.

After I finished I had all these left over strips so I made another one for me. This time I threw away the end pieces and added one more strip at the bottom.
http://sewbusyquiltguild.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment