Sunday, July 24, 2011

Still catching up!



I finished this little quilt in April, I had cut it out and taken everything I needed on my Florida vacation with me and made a good start but did not manage to finish it there. This is the vacation where I learned that even a tiny amount of alcohol and quilt making do not mix.But, I had a great time with good food, great company, and world class scenery as we were ocean front on Anna Maria Island. The pattern for this quilt came from the "Fat Quarter Quilting" book by Lori Smith. It was made from 5 fat quarters I had picked up at my great local quilt shop.

 I hand quilted it because it was so small and it was a real challenge. I could not seem to get it right. I finally found a thimble I could work with, I had tried many. It's made by Clover and has deep enough divets that I can sew without the needle slipping, my finger does not get over heated, and there is room for my nail without trimming it too close. I also like the ridge that comes out under your nail for pushing the needle thru in odd places. A silver one from Roxanne is on my want list but till I have a bit more disposable income I will be well content with this one that sells for a little over ten dollars. Its called the Clover open sided thimble for some reason and is adjustable so it saved me from trying to find just the right size.







No comments:

Post a Comment